I've missed being on here! I stayed away this week mostly cause I was sick most of the week and unable to workout. This week's been hard because when I'm not feeling well I usually let myself eat whatever sounds good but it kind of backfired this week. I didn't gain any weight but I feel so blech right now. My friend and I are going to the gym for the first time in a week tonight so hopefully that will help but the weekend is coming and it's always my downfall!
I was reading the OK! Magazine from a couple weeks ago and it had a section on getting fit for the New Year. Now, it's not someplace I would normally ever go to for fitness advice but it had this section of "20 Good Habits You Can Start Right Now" and some of them are actually very practical and good so I thought I'd post it. Hopefully it will motivate some of you, I've started a couple of them and I really want to do more.20 Good Habits You Can Start Right Now.
1. Set your alarm five minutes earlier, and use that time to stretch and get the blood flowing.
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator if you can. You'll have rock-hard buns in no time!
3. Try to include a serving of any dairy product in your diet every day to make sure that your bones stay healthy and strong.
4. Pick up this super food: Eating a papaya will give you a day's worth of vitamins A and C, and potassium.
5. Bring your own air-popped popcorn to the movies and save yourself hundreds of calories.
6. Eat a small salad before lunch and dinner. This will fill you up, and you won't overindulge in desserts.
7. Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning to flush out the toxins and kick-start your metabolism.
8. Try to eat every color of the rainbow in a day. An apple, butternut squash, yellow peppers, spinach, and blueberries are a good way to start.
9. Every day, write down one simple thing that you love about yourself. We are often too hard on ourselves. Take it easy and be kind to yourself.
10. When you start to feel those hunger pangs coming, drink a glass of water. We often confuse thirst with hunger.
11. Give someone a compliment every day. It'll make both of you feel good-- and you never know: maybe love will blossom!
12. Every time you brush your teeth, brush your tongue. Your mouth will feel extra fresh, and it lessens the chance of nasty bacteria staying in your mouth and causing bad breath.
13. Get off the bus or the train one stop before you normally would. Those extra steps can do wonders for your waist.
14. Have water or diet soda instead of full-sugar soda. It's an easy way to eradicate a lot of calories from your diet.
15. Spend 15 minutes outdoors every morning. Day light ahs been shown to reduce symptoms of depression.
16. Use a basket instead of a cart when grocery shopping. Your arms will thank you!
17. Leave your BlackBerry at home one night a week. Your mind and your honey will thank you.
18. Keep sugar-free gum in your pocket. A garlic-packed lunch, a kiss with your boyfriend or a chat with that cute guy from the deli: you never know when you're going to need it!
19. Catching up with an old friend? Meet at a park where you can stroll, instead of your favorite pastry shop.
20. Smile at a stranger-- it boosts your endorphins and will make you feel good.
...And a few other tips that I thought were interesting from the articles:
-Get black beans instead of refried beans. They have almost double the fiber.
-Ask for low fat sour cream and save almost 200 calories and tons of saturated fat.
-Love corn with lots of butter? Try lemon, salt and pepper to avoid the heart-clogging fat.
-Trade in your cooking oil for non-stick spray and save 100 calories and 9g of fat.
-Women who consume low-fat dairy products, lose more body fat than women who don't.
-Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and have about half the amount of calories as regular ones.
-A wrap isn't always your best option. Low-fat whole wheat bread is only 50 calories per slice.
-Order a wine spritzer instead of a glass of wine and consume half the amount of calories.
-Put mustard on your sandwich, not mayo. You’ll save 10 grams of fat and 90 calories.
-Protein bars can have up to 500 calories. If you need a snack, choose one that's less than 200.
-Vanilla ice cream has 20 calories more than the chocolate version.
-Apples are a great snack, but when you peel them, you're getting rid of half of the fiber.
-Drinking alcohol prior to a meal may make you eat 200 calories more than you would have.
-If you don't like milk, just 10-15 minutes outdoors can give you a daily dose of vitamin D.
-Honey is the best sweetener around. It reduces toxins, cholesterol and blood pressure.